Newsletter January 2020

Headteacher Update

January 2020

Dear Families,

We have had a positive and settled start to the new term. At assemblies I am noticing almost all children are ready to listen and in school uniform looking smart. Children’s learning in class continues to be led by their interests and classes are currently planning learning together with their teacher for this term.

School Improvement

We have been working very hard on developing our approaches to behaviour management. So far we;

• Have three clear school expectations – Ready Respectful Safe
  • Welcome each child every day with a handshake
  • Use a consistent script of warnings, consequences and restorative conversations to repair the harm
  • Use council guidance and system to formally record instances of bullying behaviour
  • Reward children with certificates for being consistently Ready, Respectful and Safe at assembly

And now we have introduced monthly Hot Chocolate Headteacher Fridays for those pupils who go Over and Above expectations. Look out for children wearing bright yellow lanyards and ask them why they have been chosen!

Next to be launched are positive phone calls home.

The Digital Ambassador Pupil Group are working in partnership with Tablet Academy to make videos to explain each of these approaches and we cannot wait to share them with you.

The School Leadership Ambassador Pupil Group have also been working hard gathering children’s views on the playground and VIP areas so watch this space.

Home Lunches

In line with health and safety protocols and fire regulations we request children who are home lunches do not return before the bell. This is to ensure all children are accounted for and registered correctly in the event of potential evacuation.

Masters Level Learning Success

Congratulations to Mrs Johnstone who was awarded with Postgraduate Certificate in Early Years Pedagogue from Strathclyde University. We are very proud of your achievement. I have also been awarded with Postgraduate Certificate In Headship (Educational Leadership) from University of Stirling.

Mrs Budge, Mrs McEwan and Ms Honey are currently studying at Masters level and I wish them well with their studies this year.

Staffing

I am delighted to officially inform you Miss Speirs is having a baby! This is lovely news and I am sure you will join me in congratulating her. The maternity leave vacancy for P6/7 will be advertised in due course and we will keep you updated.

Ms Kirsty Sharp has joined our teaching team on a Wednesday, Thursday and Friday until June. Welcome Ms Sharp!

Miss Shannon Brennan has joined our support team on a temporary basis as Learning Assistant whilst the permanent vacancy is advertised. Welcome Miss Brennan!

I am also very pleased to let you know Mrs Donald was successful at interview and will take up post of Acting Principal Teacher for the year. Congratulations Mrs Donald!

Mr Manson has also been successful and will take up his new post at Bathgate Academy in February. I would like to thank Mr Manson on behalf of our school for ensuring our children have the very best PE experiences. Good luck Mr Manson!

My last day is Friday 24th January. I would like to take this opportunity to tell you what a privilege it has been to be Headteacher at Clackmannan Primary and to thank you all for your continued support. I wish all our children, families and staff all the very best in the year to come. I will miss you. Go Team Clackmannan 2020!

Dates for your diary

Health and Wellbeing Monthly Focus: Join in January

Tuesday 21st January Parent Council Meeting 6.30pm in school. All welcome
Thursday 23rd January P2/3 and P3/4 Class Trip to Stirling Castle

Lexi, Ellie and Jessica at BOCCIA Regional Championships – good luck girls!

Thursday 30th January Sweeten Your day with a Story 3.05pm – 3.45pm

Annual Primary 6 Burns Supper Enterprise Evening

Friday 31st January Dress Down Friday

Thursday 13th February Sweeten your Day with a Story 3.05pm – 3.45pm

Parent Council Half-Term Discos

Friday 14th February Over and Above Hot Chocolate HT Friday

Sharing our LOVE of Reading Family Event 2pm in school – more information to follow

Monday 17th and Tuesday 18th February Staff development days (No children!)
Wednesday 19th, Thursday 20th and Friday 21st February HOLIDAYS

Best wishes,

Mrs Debra Laird, Headteacher.