Every Day is a School Day

I like learning new stuff.  Over the last couple of months I have learned loads.  Easily the best fun was a mountain bike skills weekend which, if you read my previous post on failure, was clearly long overdue.  The leader was great. Started the day by finding out what we wanted out of the session and then we went for a quick cycle over mixed terrain until he got a broad view of our skills base.  After some theory and demonstrations of particular skills we got going with drop offs and technical climbs, manuals and rock chutes.  Pretty quickly had a group of us peer assessing in pairs and providing group feedback; using technology to capture technique and asking for our individual assessment of skills and then providing focussed feedback for us going forward.

He was quite clear that no matter how many things we identified as being wrong   we should be focussing on one small aspect of improvement at a time.  He used lots of praise targetted specifically at individuals and challenged us appropriately to advance our skills with more tricky examples. He also decided late in the day not to allow us to attempt an even bigger obstacle as he recognised we were tired and losing focus.  He then insisted we all finish the day with a coffee, some cake and a chat about what we had taken from the day.

We have a number of development teams working this session and I am leading on assessment.  To get started we created a mind map of our current practice.  This should give us a clearer overview of what has built up over the previous years and look to see what can and should be streamlined and whether there are any gaps in our assessment procedures.  If you have a spare minute or two to have a look and offer any feedback I would be really grateful. I have linked a prezi version of the image below .

0 Responses to “Every Day is a School Day”

• No Comments