Residential Experience

I am writing this with bleary eyes as I have spent the last three days away on a residential experience with our own p7s and their peers from the rest of our cluster schools.  This was the first time our cluster of feeder primaries had decided to join together and approach a residential as a transition experience.  All our daily activity groups were mixed between primary schools and we returned to school groups for eating and sleeping. Staff from the associated secondary school came and stayed and met many of the children who will be joining them after the Summer.  All in all a worthwhile experience and we will have an evaluation out to children over the next couple of weeks to hear what their thoughts are. I think that taking other people’s children on an experience like this is one of the most tiring and stressful things you can do as a teacher. Enjoyable certainly but man, I hardly slept a wink listening out for noises in the night and there can’t be many more disturbing phrases than “Mr McLaren – someone’s been sick on the floor!” (fortunately I have had clinical waste handling training and it was only a little anyway….)

We set up a blog to try to give parents and carers a wee flavour of what was going on and uploaded as many photos as we could throughout the two night stay and you are welcome to have a wee look.  I am hopeful that each school, now that they are back will manage to write a wee post about the experience of their children and add some photos from the range of cameras that were floating around.  They way the organisation worked out meant that most of the staff attending led one group out of the 11 activity groups so most of my photos were taken of the same group and this was replicated across all the groups so the blog might be a nice central location for all schools to upload a gallery of photos as well and leave the blog as an archive of their trip.

1 Response to “Residential Experience”