A Belated Happy New Year.

Like many folks I started the new year with a simple resolution. “More Fit Less Fat” is my mantra for the moment and 21 days after starting I am still progressing.  I am aware that the New Year is more than 21 days old but there was Christmas cake left and the selection boxes were literally throwing themselves at me….

I am using an app called My Fitness Pal and I am amazed by what it does for me. I tell it how much weight I want to lose and how much exercise I commit to and it tells me how much I should eat.  During the day I log all the food I eat and it works out calorific content, balance of protein, carbohydrate and fat and then shows me graphs and charts of my progress. 

Obviously I could trim this all down to just “Eat Less and Move More” but the technology is adding something for me and that’s key for all technology I think. Is it adding anything? The answer might be entirely different for each person – my wife couldn’t be bothered with all the adding and scanning and tracking but then she doesn’t need to anyway but one of my pals is finding it really helpful….

How far away is an app that does this educationally for you? Explain what you need to learn, how many hours you have to study and it will provide exercises, activities, explanations, put you in touch with other people studying the same as you and offer collaborative tasks, assess and track your progress and supply you with reports. Like a fitness app it could monitor your blood pressure and record your temperature to make sure you were healthy, track your eye movements to make sure you were paying attention (as an aside my uncle’s new car monitors his driving habits thousands of times a second, recognises when he is getting fatigued and a cup and saucer flashes up on his dash encouraging him to take a break!) and play soothing music to help you concentrate and and and and……

1 Response to “A Belated Happy New Year.”

• Jings. after 21 days of you tap tapping on that smart phone I’m up for the challenge though have to say I am a bit fedup with it already and I have only done breakfast and lunch or day one!