Attainment

One of the main aspects of my job is tracking attainment and trying, with the staff and our illustrious HT, to establish ways to improve attainment and achievement.  If you have read my blog before you will be aware of the PIPS and Incas information that we have been looking at as well as the ongoing conversations and CT evaluations and I happened to be looking over the  SSLN publications and my eyes kept returning to this from chapter 2.

“2.3 Attainment by Deprivation
Pupils from areas of least deprivation2 continue to have significantly higher attainment than pupils from the most deprived areas, at all stages. All differences are statistically
significant except between areas of “middle” and “least deprivation” in P7. The largest differences between pupils of different deprivation categories are at S2, where 44 per cent of pupils
from the more deprived areas were “not yet working within the third level”.
Chart 2.4 Percentage of pupils performing “well” or “very well” at the relevant level, by deprivation

Chart 2.4 Percentage of pupils performing well or very well at the relevant level, by deprivation

The magnitude of the task before all of us working in education in the current economic climate is huge as the gap between haves and have nots seems to continue to increase. The fascinating report from Save the children “Thrive at Five – Comparative Child Development at School-Entry age” starkly points out in the executive summary,

“The evidence is clear: many children who grow up in poverty in Scotland are starting school at a serious disadvantage to their classmates.”

1 Response to “Attainment”