March

We have been continuing to keep busy in the nursery with lots of things happening inside and out.  The weather has been in our favour and the children have been outside taking part in a variety of activities.  Listening walks have proved very successful.  The children have been out in groups using their senses to describe what has been going on.  They had to close their eyes and listen, then tell the ladies what they heard.  We heard lots of different noises from lorries to birds.  Some children have been busy gardening, making sure it is all ready for planting the new seeds and things.

In the nursery we learned about Shrove Tuesday (pancake day) and tried some lovely pancakes.  We also learned about how Shrove Tuesday is celebrated in different countries.  Did you know that in Poland they make special sweet cakes with jam in the middle on this day?  In Sweden they decorate the house with Pussy Willow which they attach colourful feathers to.  In Lithuania they also use Pussy Willow to decorate their house…but without the feathers!  We are looking forward to finding out more about these countries celebrations for Easter.  In the nursery we have a giant world map and you can see where in the world our children come from or have visited.

Fairyland is still coming together with the children enjoying yet more fairytales.  This week we have been reading Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.  The children really enjoyed this story and have made some fabulous collage apples to decorate the nursery…some even have a little bite out of them.  Next week we are going to read Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella.  The girls really love dressing up as the Princesses and marrying their handsome Prince.

The afternoon preschool children have been enjoying their time in Primary 1 on a Monday afternoon playing listening games and taking part in Fairyland activities.  After the Easter holidays the morning preschool children will get an opportunity to pop over to the school, which they are really looking forward to.

We hope you can join us for the open evening on 25th March to see all that work and activites that the children have been creating.

3 thoughts on “March”

1. It was lovely to have some spring sunshine wasn’t it? When I popped into the nursery I thought that everyone had gone home early until I looked out and saw that almost everyone was outside, wrapped up and having fun!

2. I really like the idea of a listening walk – I might try that in the next couple of weeks, just to see what I can hear when walking around the school.

3. Didn’t realise the nursery had a blog. Great to hear about everything thats going on. Its certainly been very busy.