Sharing our interests on Autumn Time

Well here goes – our first blog thanks to Mr McLaren for teaching us how to do it :). We have had a fantastic few weeks following the childrens interests in Pirates and enjoyed the visit from Mrs Elins Primary 5 class. It was lovely to see how the children who used to be in our Nursery have blossomed and they sure have become confident individuals.

We are now enjoying new interests from the children about Autumn, and they have been busy bringing lots of autumnal items in for us to look at with our magnifying glasses. They are interested in the changes that autumn brings.

We have 2 students in the Nursery at the moment and with their help a group of children were able to walk to the woods in their local environment, with baskets, and collect some interesting items (conkers, cones, acorns, leaves etc). They were exploring with their senses and appreciating the wonders of nature.  We are now using some of these items in the maths area to count and sort and match and weigh to help the children to understand about heavy and light.

Mrs Galloway made cards for the literacy area and the children are encouraged to find the prickliest, smoothest, longest, shortest etc autumn items. This is a very popular activity and is now being used outdoors too. The children are really good at understanding the language and finding the correct items.

At circle time we consulted with all children and found out what they knew already about Autumn and what they would like to find out. They know some very interesting things.

On the whiteboard the children have been accessing the Cbeebies website and have enjoyed taking turns at the Giggleswick Park game. This involves squirrels and acorns and there has been a lot of giggling going on especially when the acorn lands on the mans head!!

Also outdoors the children have a lotto style card with autumn colours and the children are searching for leaves of the same colour to stick in the relevant squares. The children are learning about shades of colours light and dark.

Our water tray is currently filled with dried rice for sensory play – the rice has been coloured into autumn colours 🙂 and the children are really enjoying the experience. The children have requested rice for snack and therefore it is on the menu for this week, but today right now (as I can smell it ‘mmmm’) they are having lentil soup to keep them cosy on this really cold day 😉

At the dough table we have textured dough (lentils) and leaf cutters and imprints and the children have had plenty of opportunities to be creative at the art and craft area with an autumn theme.

The children are also enjoying autumn and woodland animal stories and puzzles. They are all busy, relaxed and having lots of fun whilst learning of course!

We hope you enjoyed reading our very first blog ;)………….more coming soon……and maybe even some photos the next time!!

4 thoughts on “Sharing our interests on Autumn Time”

1. Our nursery is so bright and lively and it is always fun to be involved with everyone. Well done on a super blog full of information.
    I love autumn time and I like walking our Westie Finlay in the park and walking through all the fallen leaves. If you have a dog tell me about them when I am next in the nursery.

2. muy buenos dias acabo de enterarme de tu pagina y la verdad es que me parece genial no sabia de mas personas interesadas en estos temas, aqui tienes un nuevo lector que seguira visitandote mensualmente.

3. Its like you learn my thoughts! You appear to understand a lot approximately this, such as you wrote the e-book in it or something. I think that you could do with some p.c. to pressure the message house a bit, but instead of that, this is excellent blog. A fantastic read. I’ll definitely be back.

4. Thank you for your wonderful comment. I know our blogs are very long!!! We are still learning to post little and often 🙂 Please visit us again soon