Session 6! Every picture tells a story

Pauline says:

The S2 did an amazing job with the Session 6 workshop! One of the teachers had commented that sometimes “imaginative writing” exercises in class results in some disguised plots of films or stories – well as a storyteller that’s ok, it’s what we do! To demonstrate this, I told a story originally from the Nasreddin Hodja whose funny stories taught morals and philosophy. I set it in Aberdeen and Turriff and the students came up with some great ideas during the story.

Afterwards the classes were split into groups of two or three and the students were given a black and white photo to create a story about – with some questions to help!
The photos were of people (some heroes, a couple of villains!) who I feel had an exciting life – a former slave, twins from the Jazz age, politicians and explorers – luckily we managed to swap the photos round so that everyone ended up with the photo of someone they couldn’t identify!

I went round each group and the stories were amazing – some actually got really close to the “real story”

In the second part of the workshop, everyone was able to see all the photos and we went through some words with hints about their true stories!
“CAPTIVE” “ARTIST” “DICTATOR” “HUMANITARIAN” “EXILED”

I must apologise to the lads that got the photo of my dad, auntie and granny – That was a bit mean of me, haha! I loved the story you came up with for them 😉

I hope the classes enjoyed this workshop and I’m looking forward to my next visit – which will be on Local Stories!