Our main aims and objectives of the scheme are to:
- Ensure all pupils feel safe and comfortable in KemnayAcademy
- Increase awareness of the support systems within the school
- Provide advice to pupils from experienced seniors
- Improve self esteem and confidence
- Make new friendships
A few examples of ways in which we can help pupils are:
- Assist with school work or organise peer tuition from fellow seniors
- Discuss peer pressure i.e. smoking, alcohol
- Provide advice and direct to further professional help on external issues such as family related problems
- Improve pupils time management skills, i.e. homework/coursework
Due to mentors being closer in age, knowledge and authority than adults, mentees often feel freer to express ideas, ask questions and take risks. These similarities also make it easier for mentors to understand personal and academic problems that the mentee may be experiencing – and present solutions in a more understandable and relevant way.
The mentors have advertised themselves around the school by talking closely to the pupils during PSE sessions to ensure they understand the service.