Social Stories

Many children and young people benefit from visual interventions to help them understand social situations.  Social stories are a helpful way to explain to some children with additional support needs what is happening or what has changed.  This allows them to understand, predict and prepare for a new situation or change.

Social stories can be used for a variety of different topics and themes. The following is an example about making good choices in the classroom.

Making good choices in the classroom. My classroom is a special place. I need to make good choices and respect others. When my teacher is talking. A good choice is to look at my teacher to show I am listening. I will raise my hand to answer questions. A bad choice is leaning back in my desk or not looking at my teacher. If I do not look at my teacher she does not know I am listening. During Seat Work. A good choice. Sitting in my desk completing my work. A bad choice. Hiding under my desk. I cant work under my desk

The following websites and resources will provide you with an introduction to using social stories and also guidelines on how to write them.

Support for using social stories

Click on the following links below to access the resources:

Introduction to Social Stories

A Guide to Social Stories

Guidelines for writing social stories

Social Stories Checklist

Happy Learners: Example social stories (printable and editable)

Autism Little Learners

View Covid-19 specific social stories and stories about social distancing

Next page