- Ensure friendly body language.
- Provide a place of safety in the room (observation point).
- Arrange for “buddies” to support the child socially and in class.
- Appoint good role models in the table group.
- Explain the “school routine”, e.g; bell, toilet, school layout, timetable and who should collect the child and where.
- Explain the health and safety procedures, e.g. fire evacuation.
- Explain social norms and boundaries of school.
- Don’t worry if pupils are silent.
- Welcome “acceptance and interest of pupil’s culture”.
This blog aims to encourage inclusive education support for learners with English as an Additional Language.