Clishmaclaver – Brechin High Library Blog

Top 10 books about the apocalypse

Weaponised flu, hoax bombs that start exploding, totalitarian America and brain-thirsty zombies – here’s a flood of fictional world endings – and one that’s real. Read this article from The Guardian for the lowdown on literature’s treatment of the end of days –

“The apocalypse – the literal end of the world – has long captured humanity’s dark imagination. Is it because the end of life on Earth is so impossible to comprehend, or that it feels so frighteningly close at hand? I personally enjoy the terrible dread of dropping into a world near enough to my own that the path it takes to destruction is unsettlingly familiar. However, I also seek out the more personal, poetic explorations of the concept of “apocalypse”, when what is popped is the intimate bubble of our own reality.” – Michelle Tea,  ©www.theguardian.com/books 2017

Art credit: ©2013, Christopher Tyng