Clishmaclaver – Brechin High Library Blog

Writer’s Craft Competition

I Love Creative Writing

The library is running a Writer’s Craft Competition this month to get your creative thoughts running. It is excellent practice if you are taking National or Higher English.

The Rules

To take part you first need to go to the library and receive your opening paragraphs. From there you will be able to write around two pages (we will accept entries that are more than two pages) in the same style as the original author, although where you take the story is up to you!

Opening Paragraphs

It was Friday and the last bell had rung; all the pupils (and teachers) ran out of Hill Valley High School cheering and whooping because it was now half term! Jennifer stood outside the school gates waving and saying goodbye to her friends as they went home or to the nearby milkshake bar. She stayed a few more minutes waiting for her boyfriend to appear. He finally arrived and gave her a kiss on the cheek. Jennifer turned away and blushed.

“I can’t walk you home tonight. Sorry Jen but I’m meeting a friend who I haven’t seen in ages. I’ll meet up with you next week. Bye, love you! ” Her boyfriend said and then another quick kiss and he walked away towards the town square past the famous clock tower.

Jennifer waved goodbye and then went in the other direction. She thought it was strange all of his friends lived locally so who was this distant friend?

Then it dawned on her.

There was only one person who she and her boyfriend knew and who hadn’t been around for a while and that meant trouble.

It was unusual for a high school student and an eccentric old man to become such close friends but when they met up they always caused mischief. So great was their antics that surely they would have repercussions in the future. Jennifer now wanting to stop the potential mayhem decided to follow her boyfriend…

Creative Writing

Pictures:

I Love Creative Writing – canstockphotos

People Writing – phillipmartin.info

Author: JG

Classroom Assistant & Clerical Officer at Cortachy Primary School.