Clishmaclaver – Brechin High Library Blog

Spectre Reviewed – J. Grimes

Daniel Craig

Daniel Craig’s fourth outings as the incredible Bond has been a hit at the cinemas, as are all Bond films, but how successful is this in comparison to the previous films?

The Song

When I first heard Sam Smith’s “Writing’s on the Wall” I was a little sceptical. It didn’t have the dramatic vibe that Adele’s “Skyfall” or Shirley Basset’s various Bond songs, but it is a song that grows on you and when I heard it in the title sequence it suited it well.

The Opening Scene

The film starts in Mexico City during their “Day of the Dead” festival with Craig taking a Mexican lady into a hotel room before jumping through the hotel window pursuing a man in a white suit. This is classic Bond with a chase on foot to exploding buildings and finally a fight in an out of control helicopter flying and tumbling around the heart of Mexico City. While I enjoyed the helicopter fight it did lose a lot of realism since it is near impossible to perform barrel rolls and loop-the-loops in a chopper. However conquering the man in the white suit leads to a strange ring with an octopus engraved on it.

The Plot

I definitely felt that this film was a sequel to Skyfall with the previous baddy having been part of this “Spectre Syndicate” and Mr White from Quantum of Solace also linked to Spectre. Like with a lot of sequels they are never as good as the original and Spectre is no different. Spectre is a great film but it doesn’t quite live up to previous 007 classics especially since they appear to be delving into James Bond’s history and backstory much more, which I feel is not a good line to take the Bond series, since he is meant to be a man of mystery!

Overall Rating – 7 ½ / 10

While this was not my favourite film of the long running series it is still worth a look. For the viewers who enjoy the Bond girls or Bond himself you will be disappointed as this film is incredibly modest, the unzipping of an Italian women’s dress is the best you get.

Daniel Craig accidently let slip on the Chris Evans Breakfast Show on BBC Radio 2 that he was doing one more film before hanging the suit up and emptying the last glass of Vodka Martini. I am sure that he will want to go out with a bang!

Spectre_cast

Reviewed By: J. Grimes

Pictures:

Spectre 007 – http://www.thepeak.tv/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/james-bond-spectre.jpg

Spectre Cast – http://www.gospelherald.com/data/images/full/8503/james-bond-spectre-007.jpg