Pupil Council Meeting 22/6/18

Minute of the meeting held at 9.30am on 22nd June 2018 in Room 12

This is what we talked about:

All the Council members present signed the attendance sheet.

Attending the meeting were:

Mrs Brechin (staff member)

Nursery – Madison Ritchie

P1 –  Ella Stopper

P1/2 – Maya Bylicka

P2 – Teagan Irvine

P3 – absent

P3/4 – Abira Delwar

P4 – Murron McPherson

P5 – absent

P6 – Lewis Bell

P7 – Lexi Reid

Mrs Brechin welcomed everyone to the meeting.

 Minutes of last meeting

Mrs Brechin read out the minutes of our last meeting and everyone agreed that they were correct.

This was the last meeting of this year’s Pupil Council.

First of all we made a list of the initiatives that we participated in this year.

  • Shoe box appeal in November where we filled 32 boxes
  • Easter Fun Day where we raised £652 for two buddy benches in memory of Mrs Murray
  • Gave an assembly about playground games
  • Organised pupils to be trained as Playground Leaders
  • Helped to organise Sports day – finding out which races pupils wanted to do and sorting out ribbons for each race
  • Asked classes their opinions on types of equipment we would like to have in the playground.

We then discussed our experiences and how we felt about being a Pupil Council member this year. Here are our comments

“It gave my confidence a boost”

“You could say what you think”

“We got to make decisions about school”

“Makes you feel responsible”

“Your voice is listened to”

“Ideas are shared and mostly get acted upon”

“It was fun and the snacks are good too”

Finally we thought about what the next Pupil Council could do

  • Fundraise (with the help of the Parent Council) for some playground equipment
  • Have an NSPCC fundraiser
  • Get some walls painted in school
  • Have an “Abbotswell’s Got Talent” showcase
  • Change rules to allow someone to serve for two years in a row ( if elected)

Mrs Brechin thanked everyone for all of the effort they have shown this year.

Meeting ended at 10.15am

 

Image result for playground equipment

Pupil Council Meeting 8/6/18

Abbotswell Pupil Council

Minute of the meeting held at 9.30am on 8th June 2018 in Room 12

This is what we talked about:

All the Council members present signed the attendance sheet.

Attending the meeting were:

Mrs Brechin (staff member)

Nursery – Absent

P1 –  Ella Stopper

P1/2 – Maya Bylicka

P2 – Teagan Irvine

P3 – Abigail Mackie

P3/4 – Abira Delwar

P4 – Murron McPherson

P5 – Aaron Taylor

P6 – Lewis Bell

P7 – Cerys Buckley

Mrs Brechin welcomed everyone to the meeting.

 Minutes of last meeting

Mrs Brechin read out the minutes of our last meeting and everyone agreed that they were correct.

Playground

Pupil Council members have consulted their classes regarding what playground equipment they would like to have. Here are some of their ideas:

  • Different types of balls e.g. footballs, basketballs
  • Equipment for making dens
  • Games painted on ground
  • Ropes, hoops, beanbags, quoits, Frisbees, bouncy balls
  • Cricket/rounders set, wooden blocks/jenga
  • Chalks, binoculars, magnifying glasses, robot toys
  • Slides, zipline, bouncy castle, swings
  • Add to the existing wooden equipment in the playground

It was also suggested by P7 that the Pupil and Parent Council could work together to think of ideas on how we might raise money to purchase some equipment.

Pupils have raised concerns regarding some trees that need to be trimmed and also some area of grass have not been cut. They are also worried that some pupils might hurt themselves as they are rolling down the banks and not walking down the stairs in the playground.

Mrs Brechin will share these ideas with Mrs Horne and the Parent Council.

Meeting ended at 10.15am

Next and final meeting will be on – 22nd June at 9.30am in Room 12.

Mrs Brechin thanked everyone for coming today.

Pupil Council Meeting – 11/5/18

Minute of the meeting held at 9.30am on 11th May 2018 in Room 12

This is what we talked about:

All the Council members present signed the attendance sheet.

Attending the meeting were:

Mrs Brechin (staff member)

Nursery – Madison Ritchie

P1 –  Ella Stopper

P1/2 – Maya Bylicka

P2 – Teagan Irvine

P3 – Abigail Mackie

P3/4 – Abira Delwar

P4 – Murron McPherson

P5 – Aaron Taylor

P6 – Lewis Bell

P7 – Lexi Reid

Mrs Brechin welcomed everyone to the meeting.

 Minutes of last meeting

Mrs Brechin read out the minutes of our last meeting and everyone agreed that they were correct.

Sports day – May 23rd 2018

Pupil reps have shared their class ideas for races on Sports Day. The most popular ideas were selected. All Council reps have a copy of the races for Sports Day and will give them to their teacher so the class can have some practices. Some Council members worked out how many ribbons we needed and checked that we have the correct number. To be on the safe side we will order slightly more than required as there is a possibility there might be a tie for places.

P1 – P3 Sports will start at 10am

P4 –P7 Sports will start at 1.30pm

 

Playground

The first group of Playground Leaders will start their training next week with Mike Wallace (Active Schools). The first group are from P6 and it will take 5 weeks for them to complete.

Pupil Council members have consulted their classes regarding how we can look after any playground equipment that we may have. Here are some of their ideas:

  • Set up a play zone in the playground
  • Use playground monitors
  • PSA’s to hand out equipment and ensure it is returned
  • Use a ticket system
  • Assign jobs to pupils to find and return equipment
  • Have some rules to follow when using any equipment
  • A class is responsible for their own box of equipment
  • Pupils allowed only 1 item at a time
  • Put equipment in a special place

Mrs Brechin will share these ideas with Mrs Horne. After hearing the Headteacher’s thoughts, the Pupil Council will then decide which strategy might be the most appropriate to try first.

After School Clubs

Last term pupils gave suggestions about what type of after school clubs they would like to attend. At present, four clubs have continued/ started up:

  • Fitness club for P5 – P7
  • Multi skills club for P2 – P4
  • Basketball skills for P1 – P2
  • Cooking with Confidence club for P4

It is hoped that shortly a running club will begin – organised by Active Schools.

For our next meeting, Council members have to ask their classes what type of things would they like to play with in the playground. Mrs Brechin pointed out that cost might be an issue so no swimming pools or trampolines! As there will be no Sainsbury’s vouchers this year, the pupil council are thinking that perhaps we can do some fundraising activity to buy some smaller equipment to use in the playground.

Meeting ended at 10.15am

Next meeting will be on – 8th June at 9.30am.

Mrs Brechin thanked everyone for coming today.

 

Abbotswell Pupil Council 2/3/18

Minute of the meeting held at 1.30pm on 2nd March 2018 in Room 12

This is what we talked about:

All the Council members present signed the attendance sheet.

Attending the meeting were:

Mrs Brechin (staff member)

Nursery – Cerys Buckley

P1 –  Ella Stopper

P1/2 – Maya Bylicka

P2 – Teagan Irvine

P3 – Abigail Mackie

P3/4 – Abira Delwar

P4 – Murron McPherson

P5 – Aaron Taylor

P6 – Lewis Bell

P7 – Lexi Reid

Mrs Brechin welcomed everyone to the meeting.

Minutes of last meeting

Mrs Brechin read out the minutes of our last meeting and everyone agreed that they were correct.

Playground

After our assembly to the school regarding the playground, Pupil Council members have reported that over the last two weeks, playtime and lunchtimes are becoming much calmer. Mrs Brechin was able to give the PSA’s some playground equipment for pupils to use such as skipping ropes, beanbags and balls. Some pupils have been playing rounders and some have been playing the game “Silver River” which the Pupil Council shared at assembly.

Many pupils in P6 have put their names forward to be trained as Playground Leaders. We hope to get training started early next term.

After School Club

Pupil Council members have consulted their classes regarding the start-up of a new after school sports club which will be organised by Mike Wallace from the Active Schools team. There have been many suggestions and here are a few ideas: football, volleyball, tennis, rugby, gymnastics, hockey, dance and running.

Mrs Brechin will share our suggestions with Mike and we will hopefully get a club started next term.

Easter Fundraising Day – Wednesday 28th March

Mrs Brechin shared an idea from Mrs Douglas in the Office and all the PSA’s. They thought that it might be a good idea to have an Easter fundraising day in memory of Mrs Murray where we can raise some money towards having “Friendship Benches” in the playground. Some P7’s had been discussing having benches in the playground with Mrs Murray before she died. It was something she was very keen on and the Pupil Council decided that this would be a good way to remember her.

Some ideas for the day are:

  • Having a raffle for easter treats
  • Decorating a hard-boiled egg
  • Easter colouring competition
  • Wear something green/yellow
  • Letting off some balloons in the playground in Mrs Murray’s memory
  • Rolling our eggs in the playground

The Pupil Council were very enthusiastic with these ideas and are going to share them with their classes. They are also going to see if anyone else has an idea that they have for a fun activity.

Meeting ended at 2.45pm

Next meeting will be on the week beginning – !2th March.

Mrs Brechin thanked everyone for coming today.

 

Pupil Council Meeting 2/2/18

Abbotswell Pupil Council

Minute of the meeting held at 9.45am on 2nd February 2018 in Room 12

This is what we talked about:

All the Council members present signed the attendance sheet.

Attending the meeting were:

Mrs Brechin (staff member)

Nursery – Cerys Buckley

P1 –  Ella Stopper

P1/2 – Maya Bylicka

P2 – Teagan Irvine

P3 – Abigail Mackie

P3/4 – Abira Delwar

P4 – Murron McPherson

P5 – Aaron Taylor

P6 – Lewis Bell

P7 – Lexi Reid

Mrs Brechin welcomed everyone to the meeting.

 Minutes of last meeting

Lexie Reid read out the minutes of our last meeting and everyone agreed that they were correct.

Anti-Bullying Consultations

After consulting their class, each member shared how their class responded to the following questions:

  1. What do you think bullying behaviour is?
  2. If you experience bullying behaviour, what can you do?
  3. If you experience bullying behaviour, what can adults do to help you?

From the responses we could see that many pupils thought the same things.

You can look at the responses below.

Out next step is to consult with parents to find out their thoughts on bullying behaviour.

Playground

It has been brought to the attention of the Pupil Council that many children in the school would benefit from some playground equipment to play with and for some pupils to help get games started.

Lexi and Ella went and spoke to Mrs Paige and Mrs Hopkins who help supervise the playground at lunchtime. They have said it would be beneficial for all if some playground equipment were available and that maybe some pupils from Primary 7 or Primary 6 could come and show the younger pupils some games to play.

Pupil Council members are going to find out what sort of equipment pupils would like and what equipment might be available for use.

Meeting ended at 10.25am

Next meeting will be on the week beginning – !6th February.

Mrs Brechin thanked everyone for coming today.

Abbotswell Pupil Council

Minute of the meeting held at 9.45am on 12th January 2018 in Room 12

This is what we talked about:

All the Council members present signed the attendance sheet.

Attending the meeting were:

Mrs Brechin (staff member)

Nursery – Madison Ritchie

P1 –  Ella Stopper

P1/2 – Maya Bylicka

P2 – Teagan Irvine

P3 – Abigail Mackie

P3/4 – Abira Delwar

P4 – Murron McPherson

P5 – Aaron Taylor

P6 – Lewis Bell

P7 – Lexi Reid

Mrs Brechin welcomed everyone to the meeting.

 Minutes of last meeting

Mrs Brechin read out the minutes of our last meeting and everyone agreed that they were correct.

Mrs Brechin was able to talk to Mrs Murray’s parents after one of our concerts last month. She showed them our ideas for remembering Mrs Murray and they were very impressed. They liked a number of our ideas so we will invite them into school to discuss and decide upon one idea that we will take forward.

Anti-Bullying Consultations

Mrs Brechin explained that it is time for the school to update its Anti-Bullying Policy. Staff, Parents and Pupils have all to be consulted about this. Mrs Brechin will organise for the staff and Parent Consultations and the Pupil Council will consult all pupils in school.

We had a discussion around the questions we will ask our classes and shared some of our ideas to the group. These consultations will take place during January.

Meeting ended at 10.25am

Next meeting will be on the week beginning  – 2nd February.

Mrs Brechin thanked everyone for coming today.

Image result for anti-bullying

Christmas Collection

What an amazing amount of food! A big thank you to everyone who has donated today. All of the food is going to our local church, South St Nicholas, who are setting up a food bank in the community. A big thank you to everyone who has donated today. The Pupil Council would like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. 

 

Council meeting 1/11/17

Abbotswell Pupil Council

Minute of the meeting held at 10.45am on 1st December 2017 in Room 12

This is what we talked about:

All the Council members present signed the attendance sheet.

Attending the meeting were:

Mrs Brechin (staff member)

Nursery – Cerys Buckley

P1 –  Ella Stopper

P1/2 – Maya Bylicka

P2 – Teagan Irvine

P3 – Abigail Mackie

P3/4 – Abira Delwar

P4 – Murron McPherson

P5 – Aaron Taylor

P6 – Lewis Bell

P7 – Lexi Reid

Mrs Brechin welcomed everyone to the meeting.

Remembering Mrs Murray

 All pupil council members have consulted their classes and shared their ideas on how they would like to remember Mrs Murray. They have given a lot of thought to this. Here is a list of some of their ideas which will go to the Headteacher to consider.

Lanterns/Balloons to be sent up in the sky with names or messages written

Memory book or album or jar

Framed picture collage

Write a poem or song

Special bench

Flower garden / plant a tree or rosebush

Time capsule

Flower wreath

Wall display made by pupils

AOCB

Some pupils have asked if some of the tree branches in the playground can be trimmed as they are hitting their head against them. A part of the playground fence is broken.

Some pupils are asking if it would be possible to have some picnic benches to sit at for snack.

Meeting ended at 11.25am.

Next meeting will be on the week beginning 11th December – time and date to be confirmed.

Mrs Brechin thanked everyone for coming today.

Shoebox Appeal 2017

It has been an extremely busy week for our Pupil Council members. They have given up most of their lunchtimes to fill the shoeboxes with all of the wonderful items you have donated. We have managed to fill 35 boxes.

The boxes were collected on Thursday afternoon. We were able to find what would happen to the boxes. First they were going to a warehouse to be put on a lorry which will take them to Romania. There they will be given to boys and girls who live in an orphanage and we hope that they enjoy our gifts.

We were given a lovely certificate to acknowledge the efforts that everyone has made to bring some joy to someone less fortunate than ourselves.

We would like to thank everyone who contributed. You have been very generous.

Pupil Council meeting 3/11/17

Minute of the meeting held at 10.45am on 3rd November 2017 in Room 12

This is what we talked about:

All the Council members present signed the attendance sheet.

Attending the meeting were:

Mrs Brechin (staff member)

Nursery – Madison Ritchie

P1 –  Ella Stopper

P1/2 – Maya Bylicka

P2 – Teagan Irvine

P3 – Abigail Mackie

P3/4 – Abira Delwar

P4 – Murron McPherson

P5 – Aaron Taylor

P6 – Lewis Bell

P7 – Lexi Reid

Mrs Brechin welcomed everyone to the meeting.

Shoe Box Appeal

We have had some items donated to our Shoe Box appeal so we are off to a good start. All members will remind their classes that we are looking for some more donations and that we have until 10th November to fill them up. All members will take any donations that come in to room 12 as that is where we will be filling up the boxes. We started to make up the boxes which were a little bit tricky and some of us needed some help! However, Lexi Reid managed to make up a lot of boxes on her own and then helped others. What a great job everyone!

Remembering Mrs Murray

It was so sad to come back this week to the tragic news that one of our PSA’s had suddenly died during the holidays. Mrs Murray was well-loved by all staff and pupils and we have been very upset by this news. She was a great support to us all and will be very sorely missed.

As a school we would like to do something so that we will remember her. Pupil Council members will collect ideas from their classmates and share these at our next meeting.

Some members had ideas already –

Plant a tree or make a flower bed

Have a Buddy bench and dedicate it to her (Mrs Murray had been talking to the senior pupils about this before the holidays)

Pupils could write a memory of her and make a book

Write a letter about her and release it in a balloon.

It will be interesting to see what other ideas everyone has.

Meeting ended at 11.25am

Next meeting will be on the week beginning 13th November – time and date to be confirmed.

Mrs Brechin thanked everyone for coming today.

 

Report a Glow concern  Cookie policy  Privacy policy

Glow Blogs uses cookies to enhance your experience on our service. By using this service or closing this message you consent to our use of those cookies. Please read our Cookie Policy.

Close