Information regarding inclusive local activities

I wanted to share my local group that may be of interest to children who attend your school plus their parents or carers.

I have set up a closed Facebook group, this is where people can post asking for help, advice or support but also to get anything off their chest.

My son is 7 years old Autistic and ADHD and the last easter break i found so isolating, we can’t do anything mainstream which means not only does Jack miss out but his younger brother (no delays no concerns just a typical 4 year old). Its a shame for Danny he can’t do soft play on a weekend as we can’t take Jack as he just wont cope with the noise or the crowds.

I have set up many activities and I am liasing with the Inclusion Team at Aberdeen City Council. So far this is the activities i have set up:

Weekly weekend lego club – Starts Saturday 20th May 1-2pm – Beacon Community Centre Bucksburn (upstairs in community wing, lift available if required) £1 entry fee

Monthly Sit and Chat coffee session – Starts 28th May 1-3pm – Beacon Community Centre Bucksburn (upstairs in cafe in communit wing, lift available if required

Trip to the beach – Collieston Beach 11am – Parents and carers getting out the house mixing with others who ‘get it’ – Suitable for all including buggies and wheelchairs

Family Picnic – 8th July 11am – Banchory King George V Park

Walk through the forest – Countesswells Forest 10.30am – meet in car park and go for a gentle walk, nice flat accessable for all

Autism Friendly trip to the cinema – 30th July – time and movie tbc – this titled as ‘autism friendly’ but it is suitable for all those with additonal needs

Additonal Support Needs Summer BBQ – 26th August 11-3pm – Beacon Community Centre – £1 entry fee includes:
Bouncy Castle
Face Painting
Glitter Tattoo’s
Meet Elsa and Batman (Love Rara)
Games and prizes
Outdoor play
Quiet indoor space if anyone needs some quiet time
Sensory play

All of the above is included with the £1 entry fee the only additonal cost is food and drink.

Life can be very isolating for those with additonal needs, their parent and carer but also siblings and even cousins, this is why i set up this group to try and help others same as me.

Many Thanks

Jo Gowie