Rotary Club Photography Competiton

Last week we entered our photos to the Rotary Club Photography Competition. All of our class took part and so did some people that go to Miss Travers’ Photography Club. The competition has three age groups and we are entering two of them, either the junior or the intermediate depending on your age. The challenge was to take three photos about the topic that they gave you. The topic was Our World is Beautiful. We went outside and took some photos of the grounds. We took photos of what we thought was beautiful. We used the iPad minis to take the photos and some people brought in photos from home. I really like my photos one of them was a boat that was tilted to the side. The second photo was a picture of some leaves about to fall the last one was a bit different than the others it was a picture of grass and it focuses on the grass near the camera and it was blurry further away from the camera. It wa really fun taking part!

By Scott

Rotary Club Writing Competition

Our class have been writing a story for the Rotary Club Writing Competition. The theme was Our World is Beautiful and you had to write a story where you had to use your imagination, include descriptive language, outstanding openers, capture the reader’s interest and only go up to 500 words! My story was about an explorer who loved to travel the world and every time he came to a different country, he would take the perfect picture for this mothers birthday. But he was sick of giving her the same sort of stuff. So he decided to travel to Scotland and take a picture of the beautiful scenery. We had lots of fun writing these and can’t wait to hear the results.

By Kiera

Puppet Show

We’ve had great fun making a puppet show. We made some dragons out of some bright colourful card. We got put into a group, each group had four people in. I was in a group with Stewart, Etienne, and Jenny but one group had five people in it. We had to make our own background and our own scenes. We used paper and different materials then when we had finished and we were happy with then scenes we each went into different rooms to film our movies. We each got about an hour and a half to do our movies. The next day we used an app on the MacBooks called iMovie to edit the shows. We all finished then we got to see all of the other movies it was very funny for me. The best part was making the dragons.

By Lara

Earlier this term we made some Chinese dragons and we thought it would be a great idea if we make an iMovie puppet show with our dragons. First we had to make up our own story then Miss Travers put us into groups of 4-5 people and sent us to different rooms in the school so it was nice and quiet for us to video. I was in a group with Lara, Stewart and Etienne. We also had to make all our backgrounds and other characters that we needed. Our story was about four fearsome dragons and they lived on different islands surrounding one island with their special egg on it. But there was an evil King who wanted that egg and set off on a scary journey to steal it! When he got there the egg had hatched and all the dragons got together and won the battle! I really enjoyed doing it and I especially enjoyed making all the props and characters. And once all the groups had finished there stories we all sat down and watched everybody else’s. I found them really cool and funny!
By Jenny

Chinese Dragons

We listened to a Chinese legend about a dragon then we made our own.
The story we listened to was about a very old dragon who had flown down from a nearby mountain to die but the hated King wanted the dragon killed anyway to be more popular. He hired the best dragon killer in all the land to kill the old dragon but he didn’t because he knew it was going to die so he returned and the King was furious but he didn’t stop try and hired the second best dragon killer in the land. But he also returned without killing the dragon, this made him so angry he could have stomped his feet but he didn’t. He hired the third best dragon killer in the land. He went to see the dragon then came back and agreed to do it and killed the old dragon, ignoring the warning the previous dragon killers had given about the dragon. The dragon blood poisoned the land so that crops didn’t grow for 100 years and the smoke that came out of the dragon’s nose blocked out the sun.

After we made Chinese dragons out of paper. It was quite simple. We drew the shape of the head and cut it out the added some horns, eyes, beards and teeth. Then we made the body by folding paper.
Here’s the website we used if you want to make your own.
www.topmarks.co.uk/ChineseNewYear/ChineseDragon.aspx

By Euan

Saint George and the Dragon

We have started our Myths and Legends topic and we’ve been listening to lots of stories. Miss Travers read us the story of St. George and the Dragon. Some versions of the story have George killing the dragon, but in others the dragon is actually quite friendly. We looked at the clothes and equipment that a knight might need. We looked at images of shields on the internet then we started to make the shape of our own shields. Once we had made our shield we started to cut it out, and then we decorated them. Some people put animals or mythical creatures on their shield, quite a lot of others made swords. There was a variety of things to do. I chose to make a lion and two swords. The shields look great on the classroom wall.
By Matthew M

Taster Tennis

Alan from AliMacs Tennis came along and gave us a small taster session for tennis. When we arrived his assistant Felix told us how to do each course.
1: One person throws a ball and the other one hits it and the last person tries to catch it in a cone.
2: Two people get a racket and there’s one ball and you need to hit it to each other just like your playing golf.
3: You get one massive ball and you have to throw it to each other.
4: You get two small cones each and a small tennis ball and you need to throw it and catch it using the cones.
All of us had a shot of each workstation, it was a fantastic time and all of us enjoyed it.

Thanks Alan and Felix.
By Etienne

Space Menu

In science with Mrs Hendrin we have been learning about the International Space Station, Tim Peake and researching space food. We designed menus to send up to the Space Station. Everyone had to understand that we couldn’t send crumbly foods up to the Space Station. We also had to include Vitamin D and calcium to ensure that the astronauts are kept healthy. All of us had to do lots of research to check that our choices were allowed in space. We were put in pairs to come up with the best menu, I was with Jenny. Together we came up with some brilliant ideas! Our best idea was the pizza doughball. Mrs Hendrin was very happy with what we had come up with, she then told us to make a menu on a piece of A3 paper and explain what you need when making it. I really enjoyed showing the class what we had come up with and presenting. I have really enjoyed this topic !

By Aimee

Burns Competition

Burns

On Friday, 12 pupils from Cardross Primary went to a Burns Competition at Hermitage Academy. To qualify for the competition, you had to be the winner of your class competition for either the poem or song and be in P4-P7. I was the class winner in the song competition and Laura won the P7b competition so we both got to go. There was four other schools there and they were all very talented. The schools were Garelochhead, Rhu and Colgrain. Colgrain and Garelochhead were just doing the poem but Rhu and Cardross did the song and poem. The Rhu children were great and in their song they had some hilarious words and I can’t even remember them. In Cardross we had a few phenomenal songs because we had five songs and four poems. All the winners were from Cardross Primary! We were over the moon to find that out! One person thought I was only a P6 and could win next year. When I told him I was actually P7 he said that they should hold me back a year.
By Samuel M

Storyteller Visit

Stoor

As part of our Scottish and Burns Week, Emily’s mum came in to tell us a few traditional Scottish Stories. She started by telling us an enchanting tale all about a very well know Scottish mythical creature, The Kelpies. The story told of a young boy who was poor and his father was not well so there was no-one to plough the fields. When his mother told the boy the mysterious tale of The Kelpies the boy wanted to see one and capture it to help out on the fields. Susan told the story in great detail and expression and you really felt as if you were part of the story. She told of another story, this story was about how lots of different landmarks in Scotland were made. Also this story was themed around a mighty dragon called Stoorworm. My favourite was an interactive story where she called up about 5 children to pretend to be trees. I had heard this story before and I went up to be a tree at another venue. I am a great friend of Emily’s and I thoroughly enjoyed listening to Susan’s amazing and interesting tales.

By Sarah

Scottish Art

It’s that time of the year again when the whole school make some Scottish art for Burns Week.  Our class made Scottish Still Life pictures. First we looked at lots of examples of still life by different artists. Then we came up with ideas of things we could draw. We made pictures of Irn Bru, Scott’s Porridge  Oats, thistles, teacakes, tartan, bread and a Saltire. We all used our creative art talent to make an artistic and very Scottish picture. We moved all of our tables into a big square around a table in the middle of the room. Miss Travers arranged all the objects on the middle table. Some of us made just one of the objects on the table. Some of us made all of them, everybody had total art freedom and created lots of interesting pictures. Scottish art is something our class enjoy doing a lot and we absolutely loved doing it! There was lots of unique and talented art creations. We hope to do it again sometime in high school! Everybody had a wonderful time being creative.

By Callum