A Week of Meetings – 28th August 2017

First thing Monday morning I drove up to Oban to meet with the Head Teachers from Oban High, Tobermory and Tiree to discuss the recent SQA results. A very good professional discussion took place with some innovative solutions of how the schools could support each other. This type of networking and working together is going to become more important as we look at raising attainment. I then drove out to Lochnell Primary where a lovely welcome and lunch awaited me. Shirley Matheson the Head Teacher and her team gave me a real welcome and I enjoyed a couple of hours at the school lea ring about their successes and challenges. I had a tour of the school with 3 P7 guides in the shape of Katy, Ewan and Bobbie. These young people really knew their school and could explain very clearly how the school was ensuring the action points of Our Children Their Future are being developed. Visits like these and discussions with the heads give me a real sense of the work happening at the chalk face and make me very proud.

The advisory group of Head Teachers met with myself and the Executive Director on Tuesday morning to discuss various strategic issues and ensuring we move forward together. I then joined the Education Management Team on Tuesday afternoon to continue with our strategic planning and in particular the self-evaluation in relation to our current inspection action plan. The inspection team from Education Scotland will return the week beginning 26th September.

The Joint Services Committee (JSC) meets to discuss and develop guidance for schools in relation to supporting our staff and agreeing acceptable protocols. This week we met on Wednesday morning and finalised a paper in relation to poverty and enabling access to Education. This paper was agreed by unions and management and will now go forward to be singed of at LNCT. I then travelled down to Helensburgh to meet with an elected member to discuss some Education issues. This meeting was held in the fabulous Civic Centre in Helensburgh which sits on the Clyde and commands amazing views.

The first Community Services Pre Agenda took place on Thursday morning. During this meeting time was spent reviewing the proposed papers for the Community Services Committee on the 14th of September. There are a variety of papers from Education and a good deal of discussion took place.  I then travelled back up to Oban to meet with colleagues from Scottish Government in relation to 1140 hours of Early Learning and Childcare. As part of this meeting we met with Stramash Outdoor Nursery and enjoyed seeing the wonderful provisions for our young people.

My first meeting on Friday morning continued the outdoor learning theme for early years. I met with Rachel Cower, Inspiring Scotland with Alison MacKenzie and Kathleen Johnston. We discussed the aspiration of outdoor learning being at the core of our delivery for 1140 hours. I then went on to a meeting regarding property works again for Early Years.

As always my week was punctuated by phone calls, and policy activities.