Getting it Right

There has been no greater need for everyone in Scotland to be getting it right for our children.  During November I have heard John Swinney deliver his message for Education three times.  Each time he has mentioned the 3 priorities policies of Getting it Right for Every Child, Curriculum for Excellence and Developing the Young workforce.  He is very committed to Getting it Right but there are many questions still to be answered in how this is to be delivered.  This week on Thursday and Friday I attended the ADES Conference. The theme was Equity.  It was a very interesting conference looking at the future for Education and challenges on how we meet the targets of the government and how Education plays its part in closing the poverty gap and improving life chances for all our young people. On Thursday a powerful presentation was made by the governor of Polmont Young Offenders institution, and I have to say, I sat with a tear in my eye at the amazing work being undertaken to take forward improved life chances.

http://www.gov.scot/Topics/People/Young-People/gettingitright

https://www.argyll-bute.gov.uk/girfec

On Friday we were fortunate to have key notes from Dr Pasi Sahlberg, Harvard University Graduate School of Education and Andy Hargreaves, Thomas More Brennan Chair, Lynch School of Education at Boston College.  Their contributions certainly made me think on how we can take forward change that will be sustainable and a quote form Andy Hargreaves is “be urgent about improvement but patient about results”.

picture-week8-2-jpg week8-1

I don’t shy back from my responsibilities with regard to the Getting it Right agenda.  I am aware that there is much work still to be done.  I have been pleased to talk with some individual parents this past week and deeply saddened that our system has not got it right for some of our young people.  The dilemma we often face is whilst trying to ensure there is equity and fair processes and policies to follow that we actually miss the individual approach that some young people need.  The majority of complaints in regard to our system are based on when the system has not got it right for individuals.  This is something we all need to work harder on to ensure we do make the difference required.

To follow tweets from the ADES conference look at #ADES2016.

I also attended a family funeral this week and was really struck by the strength coming from a family united both in grief but in their love and respect for one of life’s true gentlemen.  In listening to the eulogy of his life we were left with the strong message of how he certainly got it right for his family.  Many families that we work with don’t have this type of nurturing environment and this is another area we need to remember.  I am particularly committed to parental partnership and ensuring that parents are involved in the life of their young people at school.  Another message from the conference was we need to ask parents what they want as partnership working not what we think they need.

I enjoyed meeting with the MAKI Head Teachers this week and delighted to hear they felt communication between the central team and schools was improving and that my blog was also making a difference.

The important thing for us all is making a difference and getting it right.  I wish you well and would be delighted to hear of how many of you are making a difference and getting it right.