P6 Engineering At The High School

On the 14th March the Primary 6’s from all over the island came to the high school for an engineering day. The P7s also came. Everyone got put into groups of three by Mrs Harrison. The first one was about a roller coaster, you had to make a marble get into a cup with some type of dip or loop. Most people were successful but some weren’t. The second challenge was to put your table at an angle using bricks. You had to try and make youre marble take ten seconds to go down a table. Some people added zig zags and peices of paper to try and slow down the marble. Overall the day was good and I would go back.

Engineering Art

Today on Friday 9th March Port Ellen Primary School had Elaine Johnston come and help the whole school create art. Primary 6/7 did an engineering abstract picture where we drew things that related to engineering like screws, cables and cogs. We used the art Eduardo Paolozzi as an inspiration for our work.  We then had to paint them in only black, white and yellow we were allowed to mix the colours together. Once the paint had dried we outlined the picture in black and used metallic pens to add effect and texture to our pictures. It was a lot of fun and we would like to say thank you to her for helping us.  The pictures will be on display for our year of engineering.

Deforestation Endeavour by Aidan campbell

My Endeavour is Deforestation and its involved in science because I’m going to see how animals survive in those conditions and see how people can stop deforestation such as using smartphone detectors that detect saws and they send a alarm to a ranger the ranger comes and stops the person who is cutting down the tree. The science is about nature and the protection of trees.  In this I mostly feel happy because I am focused and calm but usually pictures don’t work and that makes me a bit angry.

Bird Endeavour

For My Endeavour I’m doing birds. I have been learning about their migration, where they go to, how long it takes them to get there, what they do on their journey. I have also bean learning about a lot about garden birds. I have learned about the robin, great tit and blue tit, I will be learning about other birds.

I have started a sway on geese migration on Islay, I have not done very many slides on my sway but I will be doing more. For a piece of homework for my Endeavour I drew a bird and labelled the different parts of it, on the back I wrote a bit about how birds fly but never finished it. I have done a book creator and have done quite a lot of slides. I am quite proud of my book creator and all the learning I have done through my Endeavour. The skills I have used is how to do a sway, how to do a book creator.

Earthquake-proof Buildings

P4/5 have been learning about the effects of earthquakes and the devastation they cause when buildings collapse.  They looked at different ways of making buildings stronger and more able to withstand an earthquake.  Everyone came up with their own design and then groups chose one design or a combination of features from two designs to build their model.  The groups presented their buildings to the class and then we tested them in a tray of jelly to see if they would still stand up.

Testing viscosity….pretend lava

img_1313

P4/5 have just started their new topic – all about Dynamic Earth.  They have built model volcanoes using paper mache and have been learning about different types of lava.  Here they are investigating different viscosities and rate of flow.  Our pretend lavas were water, oil and golden syrup…..the syrup was so slow flowing that the bell went at the end of the day and everyone had to go home!!

WINNERS!

IMG_0995 saltire

Last week Joe, Bronagh, Kaya and Murray traveled with Mrs Clark and Mrs Leask to Glasgow and Edinburgh to take part in the Celebration of Science and Engineering run by @scdiYESC at the Glasgow Science Centre.  They were finalists in the Junior Saltire Awards with their Wave Islay design, made with help from Bronagh’s dad Gus, an excellent boat builder.  They tested their devices at the Flowave facility in Edinburgh along with 6 other primary schools and 5 secondary schools, before attending the event and presenting to the judges.  They also took part in STEM challenges as a team, with around 40 other schools, where they had to correct a listing oil rig, calculate pH for crops, stabilize a bridge, build a train and identify oil products.  When we got to the awards ceremony  the Imax cinema was full.  We were shocked and amazed when Heather the weather announced the winners of the primary STEM challenges as Port Ellen Primary School!  We got a great trophy and went and sat back down, only to discover we had also won the Primary Junior Saltire Awards!  What a day!  Below is a video of our Junior Saltire Journey.

The Results are in!

IMG_0204 IMG_1238

P3/4 have been conducting lots of different plant experiments using fair testing techniques.  They have chosen one variable and kept all other conditions the same, testing for heat, water, light, soil and plant food.  One group was amazed to see a broad bean growing in sand!  The beans in the boiler house germinated and grew really quickly but the leaves were very pale and the plants did not look too healthy so we decided that a combination of heat, light and water works best!  They worked in groups to produce a scientific report using powerpoints. Some of the plants will be used in the Pocket Picnic garden.