Thursday 30 June 2011

I am going off for the summer holidays now…

I have completed my John Muir Discovery Award and really enjoyed exploring the shores of Loch Gilp and learning about John Muir. I am looking forward to exploring more places and learning about all things wild.

I now realise what John Muir meant when he quoted;  “Tug on anything at all and you’ll find it connected to everything else in the universe” – I now appreciate biodiversity and am glad that I completed this project.

If you find yourself reading this short blog I hope that you enjoy the contents; please feel free to leave any comments.

Regards…

Wednesday 29 June 2011

I went out to the shore today and looked at the birdlife. I used binoculars to get a close-up view and also had a camera to take photographs.

I saw the following: Herring Gull, Common Tern, Hooded Crow, Oystercatcher, Carrion Crow, Mallard Ducks (Male, Female & Young).

I also delivered my presentations and these went well.

Monday 27 June 2011

I have not been working on my JM Award for a few days as I was helping out with the stage lighting & sound for the School Award Ceremonies.

I have continued preparing my presentations today and will be delivering them on Wednesday.

Wednesday 22 June 2011

I have started to prepare two presentation that I will deliver to my advisor & teacher.

One is all about John Muir & the other about the different birds that I may see on the shores of Loch Gilp.

I have already commented on John Muir but putting it all on a PowerPoint has helped me remeber things.

Tuesday 21 June 2011

I did my ‘Litter Pick’ this morning along with the 3xl class; 13 pupils and four staff attended. We got yellow tabards to wear so that we could be seen easily as we had to cross the A83 to get to the beach. We also got a ‘litter picker’ and gloves.

Once at the beach we split into teams of two or three and took a black bag per team and collected any litter that we found. I was able to fill a black bag and this will be taken to the local tip where some of it will be recycled.

The things that I collected were: nylon rope, paper, plastic bottles, broken glass, plastic bags, wood, pottery, aluminium can and a plastic crate. I also saw some tyres and will get them another time.

The group in total filled 7 bags. Our actions will be recorded and will help the school get its second green flag.

Monday 20th June 2011

Today I was invited to attend a presentation by Dr. Andrew Murray who completed a magnificent challenge by running from John O Groats to the Sahara Desert in 78 days covering a total of  2659 miles. This equates to over a hundred marathons.

He talked about his challenge and how much he enjoyed the experience overall. He was very inspirational and informative. The presentation that he showed allowed me to see how much he had to endure throughout his challenge. He also said that he had suffered injuries during this challenge but that the best painkiller he had was the scenery!

He was raising money for The Yamaa Trust Charity – this charity’s has a single purpose – the amelioration of poverty in the south Gobi region of Mongolia. Dr. Murray said that nothing was wasted in this region – everything was recycled (John Muir would have liked this but he would not have liked the region) and that nothing grew there due to the extreme temperatures; 40 degrees in the summer and -30 degrees in the winter.

Friday 17 June 2011

I started today by searching the internet for quotes from John Muir. I found a website (placed on my links) which had a selection of John Muir quotes. I read these and picked out my favourites; these are:
1. “Climb the mountains and get their good tidings”
2. “Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul”
3. “In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks”
4. “The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness”
5. “The gross heathenism of civilization has generally destroyed nature, and poetry, and all that is spiritual”
6. “The power of imagination makes us infinite”
I discussed these quotes with my advisor and explained my interpreation of them.

Thursday 16 June 2011

I have looked at who John Muir was today and learned some things about him.
Born in Dunbar in 1838; moved to America when he was 11. He was one of eight and worked on his parents farm in Wisconsin. He loved everything that was ‘wild’ and became known as the ‘founding father’ of the world conservation movement. He helped to set up the first National Park.
He was also an inventor and invented locks, water wheels, barometers, clocks and an automatic feeding machine for horses. He also invented some unusual things such as a ‘early rising machine’ that would put a sleeper on his feet in the morning and a ’study desk’ that could open books and turn the pages in order.
He also wrote many books and has been written about by many.
He pioneered what is now known as ecology – the idea that animals, plants and humans are all connected to each other and their environment.
He had many sayings and I will post some of these tomorrow.
He died in 1914, aged 76 in Los Angeles, California.
John Muir is as relevant today as he was over 100 years ago when he met with President Theodore Roosevelt in Yosemite. Many of today’s headlines have Muir to thank for their inspiration.
I have updated my links with websites that contain information about John Muir and the organisations of today linked to his life and achievements.

Wednesday 15 June 2011

I have identified two other shells today; the Cockle and Limpet. I will be preparing fact sheets for all of the shells so that I can display them in the school corridor for everyone to see.

I was in class when one of the primary school teachers came in to see who was going to do a beach clean to help the school get it’s second ‘Green Flag’. She was talking about it with another teacher and they were wondering if it would be high tide when they would be doing the beach clean. I was able to tell them that the tide would have started to go out as high tide was an hour before they were due to go out.

I was able to agree to help them and have moved my date of doing the beach clean so that I can do it with others in the school and at the same time help the school to get its second ‘Green Flag’

Tuesday 14 June 2011

Today saw me look at the times of tides at Loch Gilp and also why tides occur.

I learned that Ocean tides can be described as the rise and fall of sea-water in a cyclical fashion. The tides themselves are as a result of variations in the gravitational pull (or attraction) between the Earth, the Moon and the Sun.

The main factor for the height and rhythm of tides is the moon – the closest parts of Earth to the moon have the highest tides, the further away the lower the tide.

The sun also contributes and provides tides approx. half of the lunar tides. When both moon and sun align they work together to produce the highest and lowest tides of the year. These are called ‘Spring Tides’.

Report inappropriate content