Senses

In science we have been learning about our senses.

Ethan “We have 5 senses.”

Poppy “Our senses are sight, touch, taste, hearing and smell.”

We read the story “We are going on a bear hunt”. They used lots of their senses when they were on their hunt. We did some play stations all about our senses.

Mya “We had to dip our hands in freezing cold water, we used our sense touch.”

Cara “We used our smell to smell different crisps, then we had to guess what flavor the crisps  were, we got to taste them to see if we were right.”

Luke “I was really good at using my sense of smell, I guessed all of the crisp flavors right”.

Hannah “We were dipping our hands  in brown paint it felt disgusting it was just like the mud in the story”.

Skye “We were reading our stories with a torch because we were pretending we were in a dark cave, we used our sight.”

Roger “We also used our sense of touch because we had to touch the books and torches.”

World of Work

This week was world of work week. We learned about lots of different jobs. We wrote stories about what we wanted to be when we are older.

Here are some of our ideas:

Teachers, Princesses, doctors, Chefs, mechanics, scientists, race car drivers, waiters and painters!

We also had some visitors coming in to tell us about their jobs. We spoke to the lollipop man, a doctor and a postman. At the careers fayer we  saw the police, a gardener, a vet and a dance instructor.

Ethan “The policeman showed us a shield that he uses to keep him safe.”

Poppy ” The lady that sells ice-cream needs to wear a hair net to make sure her hair stays out of the ice-cream- lots of us took some hair nets home.”

Mya “The vet looks after animals and makes them feel better if they are not well.”

World Book Day 

We all got to take our favourite books into school. We got to show our favourite books to our friends and read them to each other. Lots of the books were very funny!

The Highland Games

Primary 1 had a fantastic time at our Highland Games. We each split into different clans. We then designed our own shields for our clans so people knew which clan they were in.  We did Toss the Caber, the Wellie Toss, Shot Put and the Farmers Dash. Lots of our activities required lots of power. We found out that if we bent our knees we could create more power!

After our Highland Games we even got to taste some shortbread and irnbru!

Here are some pictures of the action!

Ty “Primary 1 had a great time, we wish you could all have been there.”

Luke “We ate shortbread, I liked it.”

Cara “I liked the irnbru.”

Archie “I liked the film Brave.”

Aaron “I had a very good time.”

Leah “I liked the Highland Games and the Shortbread best”.

Primary 1 have been working very hard learning new phonemes and writing their own sentences. This week we have been going over the sounds sh and th.

We are also getting very good at working with our partners to make words on our magnetic boards.

Have a look at some of our sentences and words below!

Maths

In maths we have been learning to tell the time. We know that the big hand tells us the minutes and the little hand tells us the hour. We made our own clocks. We also know that you get different kinds of clocks, they are called analogue and digital clocks.

Maths

This week we have been learning about days of the week and the seasons.

Ethan “The seasons are Autumn (in America they call it fall), Winter, Summer, Spring.

Poppy “In spring the Easter bunny comes to see us.”

Cara “In winter Santa comes to see us.”

Hannah “The leaves come off the trees in Autumn, they change colour.”

Leah “Halloween is in Autumn and it is my birthday in Autumn.”

Skye “We hope for sunny weather in Summer.”

We had lots of fun learning all about the seasons, we particularly liked a song we learned about the seasons.

We also had a visit from primary 5, they were helping us to play a new game on the laptops and ipads called Sumdog, it was lots of fun but there was lots of tricky questions. It helped us with our adding.

Health

We have also been learning about how important it is to stay active.

Ty “We have been walking a mile each day, some of us were even running!”

German

We have also started to learn some German this week.

Ty “Hallo, is German for hello.”

Aidan “Guten Tag is German for good day.”

Poppy “Guten Morgen is German Good morning.”

First Week Back

I hope you all had a lovely Christmas and a very happy new year. Primary 1 have all settled into school well after the holidays. We have been very busy.

Archie “We have been learning the sound z, zebra starts with z.”

Zac ” My name starts with z”

Cara  “Zig-Zag, has z in it.”

Maths

Ty “We have been learning about the days of the week.”

Hannah “We read the Hungry Caterpillar, he ate lots of food on different days of the week.”

Music

Eva “We had to walk like monsters and a fairy to music.”

Mya “When we danced like monsters it was scary music, we had to stamp.”

Poppy “I liked dancing like a fairy, the music was soft and smooth.”

Primary 1 had a fantastic time at our Christmas Party. We all looked wonderful! We were even lucky enough to have a visit from Santa! Here are a few pictures of all the fun we had!

Thanks to all of the primary 1 parents for all the help this term! I hope you all have a lovely Christmas and happy new year!

Addition Fun

This week primary 1 have been doing some more work on addition. We have been using dinosaurs to help us add and sometimes we use our fingers to help. We have also been practising recognising amounts without having to count! We have been playing games like snakes and ladders, we can all recognise the amount on the dice without counting. We are also very good at taking turns when we are playing!