Happy New Year!

Happy New Year everyone!  I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas holiday!  I would like to say a very big thank you for all of the lovely cards and gifts I received.  I really enjoyed spending the John Lewis gift voucher.  It was very kind and generous of you!

Our topic for this term is called ‘World Explorers’.  We will begin by learning about China, linking this into Chinese New Year.  We will then learn about France, where we will begin learning some basic French (e.g. counting, days of the week and basic greetings).  The children will take on the role of explorers, finding out about countries around the world.

The children will have the chance to talk about the countries they have visited on holiday.  I invite them to bring in photos, tickets, drawings and souvenirs from other countries for a ‘Show and Tell’ session.  The children will then be able to add their photos and souvenirs to our world map display.

Please send any photos and souvenirs into school by Monday 22nd January.

I look forward to hearing about the interesting places the children have visited on their travels.  It is set to be another busy and very exciting term in P1W!

Thank you!

Mrs Williams

Anti Bullying Week

This week in class we have been talking about kindness and being a good friend.  During circle time, we turned to a partner and said two kind things to them.  Then we reflected on how these kind comments made us feel.  We also talked about how unkind comments and actions might make us feel (we used a paper heart to illustrate this).  You may wish to discuss this with your child at home.

During assembly, we listened to a song about the importance of not being a bully.  For homework, please listen to and discuss the song and what it means in relation to our Golden Rules.

‘We are kind and helpful’

w.b. 9.10.17

I can’t  quite believe it is the last week of term already.  I am so proud of how well the children have settled into primary one!  It has been lovely to see all of the wonderful learning which has taken place so far.  The children have also developed some new friendships and are demonstrating some really good cooperation skills when working as part of a group!

The homework for this week includes:

Reading – New reading books were issued on Tuesday.  I will be taking the reading books in on Friday.  Due to the October holidays, I will not be sending out new reading books on Friday.

Please ensure that your child has their reading books, reading record and green all week book in their folder every day.

Tricky words – Your child has a page of ‘tricky words’ in their folder  to practise.  These can be used in lots of different ways.  You could either cut them up and use them as flashcards or you could use them as a word wall and colour them in when your child can read them.  Please support your child to recognise these words to help develop confidence and fluency in reading.

Phonics homework in the blue book – This week our phonics homework is looking at ‘d’ and ‘e’.  Please continue to revisit all of the sounds to help to consolidate your child’s understanding.  Phonics homework can be handed in this week or after the holidays.

This week we have been learning about Autumn.  We went on an Autumn walk and had lots of fun exploring the changes in our outdoor environment.  The children did some wonderful pieces of writing about our walk.  They also created some super Autumn artwork using the natural materials we collected during our walk.

I hope you all have a lovely October holiday.  I look forward to hearing all about what the children have been doing when we come back to school!

Mrs Williams

Homework w.b. 26.9.17

Thank you to everyone who came along to the literacy evening and the school open evening last week.  It was great to chat to you all and I know that the children loved showing you around the classroom!

It has been another busy and very exciting week in P1W.   In phonics, we have been exploring our new sounds (‘r’ and ‘m’).  We have also been using the magnetic boards to build words using the sounds we have learned so far.  In numeracy, we continue to practise the formation of numbers and to develop our careful counting skills.  We have also been investigating one more/less than a given number.

Homework this week:

• Phonics activities in the blue book
  • Class reading book
  • Name writing and number formation card (a highlighter pen works well on the laminated sheet and can be rubbed out easily).

Please support your child to write using lower case letters (with flicks).  Capital letters should be used at the start of a sentence and at the start of a name.

Some parents asked if they could have a copy of the number formation songs which we sing in class.  These are the words which I use and the children really like the songs!  See below for another useful number formation resource.

Around and round and round we go, around and round and round we go, around and round and round we go, to make a number 0.

Start at the top and pull straight down…..to make a number 1

Around and back on a railway track…..to make a number 2

Around the tree and around the tree…..to make a number 3

Down across and then straight down…..to make a number 4

Down around and then the top…..to make a number 5

Down we go and make a loop…..to make a number 6

Across the sky and down from heaven…..to make a number 7

Make a ‘s’ and close it up…..to make a number 8

Make a loop and then a line…..to make a number 9

Click here for the number formation posters: http://www.communication4all.co.uk/Numeracy/Number%20Formation%20Rhyme%20Cards.pdf

Thank you!

Mrs Williams

Welcome!

Welcome to the P1W blog!  I am delighted to say that the children are all settling into Primary One very well!  There was lots of excitement this week as the children stayed for their first full day on Monday!  They have really enjoyed having lunch in the dining hall!

Our topic for this term is called ‘Myself and my School Community’.  We started our topic by learning about the Golden Rules.  Please continue to talk about the Golden Rules (using your child’s ‘Green all Week book’) at home.  We have also been talking about ourselves and what makes us unique.  The children have been sharing their own ideas through discussions and detailed drawings.  We will also be learning about important people and places in our school.

In phonics, we have learned ‘s’, ‘a’, ‘t’, ‘i’ and ‘p’.  The children have enjoyed exploring a variety of phonics tasks related to our new sounds.  They made teepee tents, cotton wool igloos and pink pig pictures to name just a few!  Look out for the new phonics homework books in your child’s folder this week!  To help your child to practise the sounds we have learned, search for the free ‘Jolly Phonics Lessons’ app on the App Store.  The app will allow you to share the actions, stories and songs which the children have been learning in class.  In numeracy, we have been learning about number recognition, ordering and formation of numbers through a variety of active tasks.

Our timetable for this term is as follows:

• Monday – Assembly, Outdoor activities in the nursery garden, Singing with Miss Hamilton
  • Wednesday – PE with Miss Mair
  • Friday – Library, PE with Miss Mair

Please ensure your child has the following in school:

• A named gym kit
  • A named apron for art
  • A named pair of indoor shoes
  • A named A4 plastic folder for transporting letters, reading books and homework to and from school every day
  • A named ‘rainy day’ activity book for indoor breaks and lunchtimes

Please ensure all clothing and property brought to school with your child is clearly named.  This will help to avoid it getting lost.

Thank you for your support so far and I look forward to working with you all this year!

Mrs Williams

Just another blogs.glowscotland.org.uk – Aberdeen site